1. Facebook…the force is STRONG with this one. The lure to check on my friends was hard to resist. In fact, I didn’t make it the entire week. By the third day I had already sneaked a peek.
2. Twitter will NOT be ignored. By the fourth day, I began to lose followers. So, I decided to at least tweet a couple of times each day, which was less than normal. By the end of the week, I had gained followers…meaning that tons of tweeting isn’t necessary.
3. Hours of browsing social websites is equal to thousands of written words. Before my little boycotting thingy, I’d noticed that time always flew by when I was clicking from one site to another. But when I was totally focused on my writing, the time seemed to slow down, making it possible to up my word count considerably .
4. Spending less time on some electronic gadget allowed me to clear my mind and think more creatively. In the world of writing, creative thinking is VERY IMPORTANT.
5. What happens in Cyberspace, stays in Cyberspace. Another words, when I returned to all the social sites I found everything that I’d ever posted, commented on, or shared right where I left them and something about that made me stop and think…so why connect multiple times a day? They’re not going anywhere.
So, there you have it. Although, I’m back to all the websites I listed in my last blog, it’s with much more balance. Stepping away from social media isn’t as easy as it sounds, but I suggest you try it. You might be surprised how much of your day is being taken up by it.
J.L. Bond is an author, blogger, wife and mother of two daughters. Contrary to popular belief, she is not related to that other J. Bond, nor is she an international woman of intrigue. She began blogging in 2005 while on a seven-month long “around the world” trip.
Val Richards is an author, administrative assistant, mother, teacher without a classroom, and a space traveler wanna be. Because of her busy lifestyle, Val just cannot find the time to become an astronaut. Hence, she travels to other worlds through her imagination.
View All Posts